Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Caramelized Onion and Potato Quiche

About once every two months my husband and I
get to the end of the week and look in the
refrigerator and think ~ Well, we should go
grocery shopping but .... we still have some food.
And what I mean by some is odds and ends but
not really anything to make great dinners.
Even though we know it might be difficult we don't
shop that week and we call it "inventory reduction"
~ which means there needs to be some creativity
with the odds and ends that are available.
I found some onions, that is a good start.
I have eggs and milk.
And when I looked in the bottom drawer of
the refrigerator I found a few potatoes.
That sounds like Quiche to me!
Caramelized Onion and Potato Quiche
6 tablespoons butter
2 medium onions,
6 medium eggs
1/2 cup milk
3 yellow potatoes
cheese, your choice
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp oregano
1 pie crust

Directions:
Saute onions in butter on medium-to-low heat
until caramelized (about 30 minutes).
Add potatoes to pan.
Cook and stir until potatoes are tender.
Set aside.
Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper
and oregano until creamy.
Stir in cheese and then the onion/potato mixture.
Pour into pie crust
Bake on cookie sheet for about 30- 40 minutes at 375
Let stand for about 5 minutes before serving.






I really enjoyed this dinner.

The photo shows what happens when you are

so hungry you don't let the quiche cool ~ oops.

No comments: