Saturday, February 4, 2012

Lemon Crinkle Cookies

I am a pretty big fan of lemon desserts.
There are times when I prefer the tart lemon
flavor over chocolate. That probably sounds
crazy to some of you but it is true for me.

I found this recipe on Pinterest. Pinterest has become
another favorite place of mine to find recipes and other
good ideas.
It was posted by Mel from
http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2012/01/lemon-crinkles.html


Lemon Crinkle Cookies
*Makes 2 dozen cookies

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest (** I added more - 1 TBSP or so)
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, from about 1/2 lemon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheets with silpat liners, parchment or lightly coat with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add vanilla, egg, lemon zest and juice and mix well, scraping down the sides as needed. Add the dry ingredients (except the powdered sugar) and mix until just combined. Place the powdered sugar on a large plate or shallow pie dish. Roll tablespoon-size balls of dough in the powdered sugar to coat. Place on the prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.

Bake the cookies for 9-11 minutes. The cookies will not be browned on the edges but they will have lost a bit of their shininess on top. Don’t overbake! Cool the cookies on a cooling rack and store in an airtight container or eat immediately.



** A couple of things : I added way more lemon zest b/c I love the taste of lemon.
I also had to cook the cookies a little longer than she said. I made the fork pattern that you typically make on top of peanut butter cookies. After taking the cookies out of the oven, I gave them another small dusting of powdered sugar. I would have to say that these cookies were pretty good.

No comments: