Monday, September 3, 2012

Broiled Polenta with Roasted Tomatoes

I hope you are all enjoying a wonderful Labor Day.
We have spent the weekend catching up with old
friends which was so nice!

We did our market shop this weekend and so
I have so many good choices to make for dinner.
This one is a new recipe that came out of
an Italian Step by Step cookbook.  I changed a few
of the ingredients and added the roasted tomatoes to
top of the dish.   

Broiled Polenta wtih Fennel Seeds
4 cups water
1 2/3 cup instant cornmeal ( I used half cornmeal , half polenta)
2 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp fennel seeds ( I decided to put them in my nut grinder instead of leaving them whole)
1/2 cup toasted almonds ( I added this ingredient and also put it in the nut grinder)
2 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
olive oil
salt and pepper

*Cheese is optional

Heat the water, add salt and bring to a boil.  Sprinkle in the cornmeal, stirring .
Stir the cornmeal for about 10-15 minutes over a medium heat.  The cornmeal will
begin to thicken and come away from the sides of the pan.  Take the pan off the heat
and add the butter, fennel, nuts and parsley.  Season with a little salt and pepper.
Brush or spray a rectangular dish with oil (medium - small dish).
Spoon the polenta in the dish and smooth out the surface.


 Let sit a few minutes until the polenta sets.
Flip the polenta over onto a cutting board (carefully).  Turn your broiler on high. 
Cut the polenta into slices.  Place the slices on a baking dish and brush with oil.
Put them in the oven on broil until the tops become lightly brown and crispy.


I also made roasted cherry tomatoes to put over the top.
I take cleaned cherry tomatoes and put them in dish with 
olive oil, a little balsamic vinegar, sliced garlic.
I put them in the oven on 400 degrees for about 35 minutes. 
At the end, when they are done cooking I add fresh basil.   

My polenta was served with a little Asiago cheese and
roasted tomatoes.


No comments: