Sunday, November 25, 2007

Coconut Lemongrass Chicken

Last time I was at the Market I watched while
a women carefully picked out several stalks of lemongrass.
Hmm, I thought that looks interesting.
So without having a recipe,
without knowing how much,
or even how to select lemongrass
I put a few stalks into a bag.
Surely I can make something with Lemongrass .

And I did make something and it was good!



Coconut Lemongrass Chicken
2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, halved and sliced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teasblespoon kosher salt, optional
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
3 pounds boneless chicken (thighs or breasts), diced
1 tablespoon minced fresh hot red chili peppers
4 stalks lemongrass, green tops removed then pale ends finely chopped*
2 tablespoons curry powder
3 tablespoons soy sauce
4 tablespoons fish sauce
4 ounces unsweetened coconut milk

Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat.

Add the half the onion and all the garlic and cook,

stirring frequently, until both begin to soften, about 7 minutes.

Add the salt (if using), black pepper, sugar, chopped ginger and chicken.

Cook over medium-high heat until the sugar melts and the onion mixture

and chicken begin to brown, about 15 minutes.
Add the remaining onion, the chili peppers,

lemon grass, curry powder, soy sauce, fish sauce and coconut milk.

Stir, reduce the heat to medium-low,

cover, and cook until the chicken is no longer pink at the center,

about 10 minutes.

Remove the lid and simmer (adjusting the heat if necessary)

until the sauce thickens and the chicken is tender, about 10 minutes more.


This turned out excellent!!!

I served the chicken over rice.
Yuuummmy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was good indeed!

J

Anonymous said...

Yummy. I might try making that. ML

Chris said...

I have never had lemongrass...I am going to have to step out and change that!