Sunday, September 12, 2010

Saucy Coconut-Chicken Stir Fry

My copy of Eating Well, my favorite cooking magazine,
came in the mail the other day. I love it because
it has great recipes as well as some very informative
articles. One feature I really like is that they
list the nutrition information after each recipe
so you know exactly how many calories, sugars,
proteins and vitamins you are consuming in the meal.
After paging through the magazine I was very happy
to find several recipes that I am going to
make in the next couple of weeks.

Saucy Coconut-Chicken Stir-Fry
by Eating Well
Ingredients
4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
1 pound chicken tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
1 jalapeño pepper, minced (optional)
1 bunch scallions, sliced, whites and greens, separated
2 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
3/4 cup “lite” coconut milk
2 tablespoons fish sauce (see Note)
4 teaspoons lime juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
6 cups sliced napa cabbage
3/4 cup chopped fresh basil
* I added just a pinch of red pepper flakes

Preparation
1.Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a wok or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring often, until cooked through and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
2.Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the wok or pot. Add jalapeño (if using), scallion whites, mushrooms and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant and the mushrooms start to soften, 30 seconds to 1 minute.



Stir in coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice and brown sugar; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cabbage, the chicken and scallion greens; cook, stirring constantly, until the cabbage is slightly wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in basil just before serving.



This is a healthy, delicious meal.

2 comments:

Sadie said...

Really good, simple meal with a kick! I also cooked peas to have a simple veggie on the side.

Anonymous said...

Yes this meal has a kick, I really like this. I hope that I can cook this perfect just like the recipe for stir fry sauce that I made. Thanks for sharing it here.