Sunday, May 29, 2011

Penne with Mushrooms

It has been hard to get motivated to cook
dinner lately. I feel like we are running
in and out. Come home, try to exercise -
if it isn't 90 degrees, run to a meeting,
and dinner just doesn't seem to fit right
now.

BUT....

I had three beautiful portabello mushrooms
in the refrigerator that I really wanted
to use so I came up with this pasta dish.


2 shallots
3 portabello mushrooms
fresh oregano
1/2 cup marsala
1/2 to 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil

Penne
1/2 cup pasta water

I diced the shallots and cooked them in olive oil for
a few minutes. Then I sliced the mushrooms and cooked
them in the oil with the shallots for about 5 minutes.
I added the marsala to the pan and cooked the mushrooms
and shallots for about 3 more minutes on high.
I chopped the fresh oregano and added about 1/4 cup
to the mushroom mixture. You can add a little less
oregano but I really like it.

While cooking the mushrooms I boiled the penne
in water with a pinch of salt.

Drain the pasta, reserving about 1/2 cup of the
pasta water.
Add the pasta back into the pan. Then add the
mushroom mixture and cheese to the pasta.
Stir until all the pasta and mushrooms get
combined. Add a little of the pasta water
until you have the consistency you like.

And here is the final product - Yum!

No comments: