I can't tell you how happy I was after a long day of work and then an evening meeting to walk in the door and smell dinner.
YIPEE, my husband cooked dinner.
My husband always does a great job when he takes on cooking.
Tonight he made :
John's Jambalaya ( John is a friend from work)
1 large onion, chopped
4-5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large bell pepper, chopped
1 large can diced tomatoes ( low or no salt if possible)
1 can tomato puree or strained tomatoes
2 bay leaves
Cajun seasoning ( home-made or Old Bay)
Andouille sausage, cut into bite size pieces
salt and pepper to taste
1 bag frozen gumbo vegetables
(My husband substituted the bag of veggies for fresh okra and corn)
1. Brown the sausage and cut into bite size pieces
2. In a pan, heat oil and saute onions and garlic
3. Add other veggies and cook
4. Add salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning
5. Put sausage into the mixture
6. Add bay leaves to the pan
7. Continue to cook veggies and spices 5-8 minutes or so
8. Lower heat and add tomatoes
9. Bring a simmer and cook 10 minutes
Stir often to keep tomatoes from burning or sticking
10. Check flavors and don't be afraid to adjust.
If you desire more spice or heat you can add dried chilli flakes
11. Add the shrimp about 5 minutes before serving
so the shrimp are not overcooked
Serve over rice.
Thanks to my husband dinner was excellent.