Sunday, July 3, 2011

A Day Cooking with Mamma Agata in Ravello, Italy

Spending the day with Mamma Agata and her family.

When we started planning our trip to Italy my
husband and I began to research all the
different places we could go, restaurants we
could eat at and things we could do.
The possibilities were endless.

During my research I came across this website
that described a cooking class with Mamma Agata.
On the website they claimed that you
would spend the day cooking in Mamma Agata's private home,
which is situated 1,000 feet above sea level, overlooking
the Amalfi Coast. Her property includes a garden
full of lemon trees, fruit trees, vegetables, spices
and flowers. She would teach you to cook traditional
dishes like antipasti, pastas, seasonal vegetable dishes
as well as meat dishes.

This sounded too good to be true but sign me up is exactly
what I thought.

A few days into our trip we took the famous, scenic
drive along the Amalfi Coast. Now, those of you that
know me well are thinking I can't believe Sharon was
able to make the winding, narrow, challenging drive
to Ravello. I was only able to endure the drive because
my husband drove very carefully ( so I didn't have to
ride in a bus)and because I took a little dramamine. :)

The drive along the Amalfi Coast is AMAZING!!
We stopped several times to take a pictures because it
was just so beautiful. I have included some of the
photos we took along the way.







After about two and half hours of driving and praying
the whole way that this "cooking class" was going to
be worth it we finally arrived.

And I knew from the moment Chiara opened the door
to her home that this was going to be the
opportunity of a life time!



Chiara welcomed us with open arms. She brought
us to the terrace where we looked out over the
Amalfi Coast. Just like the website described but
so much better in person - breathtaking!!
We were served coffe and Mamma's famous lemon cake.






Once the rest of the guests arrived ( one of the guest
being a famous movie star - Sela Ward and her family)
we began our day of cooking with Mamma Agata and her family.
Chiara ( Mamma's daughter) and her husband Gennaro showed
us how limoncello is made. This would be served later in
the day.




Then we moved into the kitchen where the magic began.
Tips and secrets were shared as Mamma and Chiara
demonstrated how several different southern Italian dishes
are made. During the class we learned how to make Mamma
Agata's Coccoli, Eggplant Rolls, Eggplant Parmigina,
Pasta with Sausage and Peppers, Pasta of the Farmer
and Lemon Chicken.










Of course the food and wine were amazing but the
personal stories Chaira shared and passion for what
they do makes this experience so unique.
From the moment you arrive at Mamma Agata's the
family makes you feel like you are special
and that they are so excited
you came to spend the day with them.

I have attached the link to Mamma Agata's
Cooking School because if you are ever
it Italy you should definately visit
Mamma Agata.
The experience is everything
they claim on their website and so much more!!
http://www.mammaagata.com/cooking-class.aspx

6 comments:

Chris said...

Your trip sounded unbelievable! I am so glad you and J had such an amazing time. Telling my mama that our next mother-daughter trip is to Mamma Agata. :)

Frankie said...

What a perfect birthday present for you! I can almost taste the food from your pictures. Speaking of pictures, you should really enter some of these of the coast in a photo contest somewhere. I especially love the one with the clouds in the background!

Kitty said...

I think you should open the Smyrna branch of Mama Agata.....!!

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a great vacation activity. I know you enjoyed. Have enjoyed your tomato dishes too--My plants are producing bumper crops and the usual things were so--usual! LIsa G

Chiara | Simple and Genuine said...

My dear Sharon,
Thank you from our hearts from the wonderful story and photos from your day with us in June!!!!! It was a JOY to welcome both of you and to spend the day cooking together. We only hope to see you again VERY soon!!!! With love, Chiara, Gennaro & Mamma Agata

andre said...

You said it very well Sharon: a day at Mamma Agata is a wonderful sensory experience. The food, the smells, the sight and the kindness of both hosts and guests make it memorable. It was great to meet you and J there and always fun to read your blog. Best.
Andre