Friday, May 11, 2007

Eggs for Dinner

Tonight I made a Vegetable and Cheese Frittata. A Frittata is an Italian open-faced omelet.

You might be wondering...........What is the difference between an Omelet and a Frittata?


Here is what Peggy Filippone says, "In the strictest sense, the difference boils down to a matter of folding in a filling rather than mixing it in. Omelets traditionally have the egg mixture cooked and folded around a filling, while a frittata just mixes it all up, cooked in a mishmash combination all at once. Frittatas are often served at room temperature, making them perfect for brunches or larger group."


I believe you can put almost anything in a Frittata but here is how I made mine:

First I sauteed red onion, green beans and potato in olive oil. I added some Italian seasoning : a little basil, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper. I let these vegetables cook until the potatoes were tender.




Then in a bowl I mixed 8 eggs, 1/2 - 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella.





I poured the egg and cheese mixture over the vegetables and cooked for about 5 minutes until the bottom of the Frittata was firm. Then the pan was placed in the oven and baked on 350 for about 15 - 20 minutes. While the Frittata was baking, I added sliced tomato and grated parmesan cheese to the top.






This Frittata was FULL of yummy flavors!!!




No comments: