Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Eating Healthy

As part of my CSA Fresh Produce pickup last week I got a head of cabbage. Cabbage, hmm what do you make with that, was my thought. Then I started visiting other food blogs and realized that there were tons of recipes for cabbage. The one that sparked my interest the most was the “Citrus Asian Slaw” that is posted on 28 Cooks. It sounded so unique. I followed the recipe below with two minor changes. I did not have any carrots and I added cranraisins . To go with this yummy slaw I made Soy Glazed Salmon and Grilled Summer Squash.

Citrus Asian Slaw
5 c of vegetables, julienned (cabbage, red cabbage, carrots)*
1 1/2 c julienned cucumber
1/2 c diced red bell pepper
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
Dressing
2/3 c seasoned rice vinegar
2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp black pepper
Juice of half a lime**
1/2 tsp salt(I used Adobo)1
/3 c water
1/2 tsp sesame oil
(I also hit mine with an additional 1/4 tsp hot chili sesame oil)Place vegetables in large bowl and toss well. Combine all dressing ingredients (up to and including water) in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes. Immediately pour over vegetable mixture and toss well. Allow to stand for 10 minutes. Drizzle with sesame oil. Toss again and serve.

No comments: